Shana Joseph

Upside Down on our Farewell Swings

My dad and I on our last days
Doing farewell things
By my side through thick and thin

And through thick and thin
I’m by his
As we lay upside down on our farewell swings

Awaiting the drowning of the sun
Our last morning time long gone
He shouts to me

“There it is!”
We watched helplessly
As it slowly sunk into the sea

What a bright orange sun
In the purple sky that seems to gleam
As we lay upside down on our farewell swings.


Ars Poetica

A poem should be like a chameleon on the trees of any circumstance.
A poem should be like Latin, all languages in one.
A poem should be like a nameless child, left to you, the parent, to give it identity.


Homeless

My heart has no home
For it is always on the move
To maneuver bombs and bullets and capture
Regret is not an option
Feelings is but an overlooked caption

War surrounds her
Distresses her
Destroys the many vessels that feed her
But one that that helps her prosper
Her companion, my soul

The house of my soul is a jail called fate
And in the house of my soul
Rooms of ugliness and cold
Memories backed away
All doubts and fears I’ve never faced

But together they will walk side by side
Smash all obstacles in their way
So I can have my place
In this place
That I call home


Deadly Fall for Life

One day these very different personalities and preferences clashed.


She was left in charge. This filled her every void like a bull when it finally gets its rider. She must keep the house clean and take care of her little brother. Her little brother is nowhere to be found. He always seems like a backwards word in a puzzle. Finally he came to the door with shoes filled with mud. She refused to let him in.


“Take off your shoes before you enter,” she demanded.


“Come on. I just gotta grab the cutlass,” he told her.


She just was not hearing it, so she pushed him backwards. She knew she was stronger than is and used it to her advantage every time. He tried to kick her but his shoes flew into the kitchen. He was satisfied because he knew she would be made and have to clean up the mud mess. She was enraged. She slapped him across the face. This sent him on a rampage to get cutlass and dirty the kitchen some more. He knew that he could not physically beat her so he strategically did things to do her crazy. He ran in, grabbed the cutlass that was about two meters away, with one muddy shoe on his foot, and ran out.


Oh no, she couldn’t let him win. She ran after him and beat him in front of his friends.

They had a field day laughing. He was so mad. He picked up his cutlass and pelted it at her neck. Startled but unable to decide what to do in that split second, she tripped on a lime.


The cutlass passed right over her head. Her life flashed.