Aquila Johnson

Bench

She sat on the park bench wearing a black pea coat, blue jeans and black Uggz. She stared deeply at nothing, preferring the snow flying around her. He stood next to her holding her hand, staring at the insides of his eyelids. A tear formed at the corner of her eye like a rain drop about to fall from the sky. The look of loneliness and disgust was written all over her face. The look of failure and relief on his. The winter wind blew her hair all over her head while his hair stayed tucked safely under his hat. Pain and fury entered her eyes. She tried to squeeze them shut letting the tears fall freely.


Conversation

When I close my eyes there's no darkness, only colors, colors that dance around my head like an opened bag of Skittles. When I open my eyes all I see is three colors. Black, white and grey. What have we done to ourselves? Why is this happening? Do you trust me? Good. Trust is the only thing you need to survive. With trust you know you'll have at least one person who you can lean on when you're down and out.

Do you see me? Who do I trust? Absolutely nobody. Where I come from trust is in nobody's vocabulary, or is it? It's not for me. I just live one day at a time while others are out committing heinous crimes. Why are we like this? Does this make any sense to you? Not to me. Is beauty only skin deep, or above the surface? I believe it can be both ways. Does anybody know what's best even if they've been through it before?

The world is full of colors, but nobody stops to pick the flowers when they smell them. Everywhere I go I fee like there's a giant shadow standing over me. What do shadows mean anyway? To me they mean secrets, promises that can't be released, people who can't speak for themselves. I mean, after all we do walk over them. Just do me a favor and close your eyes. Watch the colors unravel before you.